Riparian areas are the areas the border on streams, lakes, and wetlands that link water to land. The Riparian Areas Regulation (RAR) applies to residential, commercial and industrial development activities in riparian areas adjacent to streams or other water bodies that provide fish habitat or nutrients to fish habitat. The RAR requires land developers to retain a Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP) to assess the riparian area to ensure responsible development. At TRI, our QEP team can help with the permit application process in order to proceed with the development application.
Riparian Area Management
- The Riparian Area Regulation (RAR) specifies that a Watercourse Development Plan is required any time development is planned within 30 metres of a watercourse;
- The Watercourse Development Plan must be accompanied by a formal Assessment;
- The Assessment must be carried out by an individual who is qualified to conduct an appropriate, science-based investigation;
- The Assessment will consider all relevant factors that may affect fish habitat and fish nutritional supply;
- Working within the RAR, TRI assists clients with plans for development activities in areas adjacent to streams or other water bodies.